Skip to content

Atlantic News

Police dismissed complaint in 2007 about Newfoundland man on trial for abusing youth

Police dismissed complaint in 2007 about Newfoundland man on trial for abusing youth

ST. JOHN'S — A retired sergeant with the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary says she no longer stands by her decision not to charge a man now on trial for more than 70 crimes related to sexual violence against youth. Sgt.
Halifax police shoot at car that allegedly accelerated toward an officer

Halifax police shoot at car that allegedly accelerated toward an officer

HALIFAX — Halifax Regional Police say an officer shot at a vehicle that had been driving erratically and accelerated towards an officer.
Trial starts for Newfoundland man accused of sexually abusing young people

Trial starts for Newfoundland man accused of sexually abusing young people

ST. JOHN'S — A trial began Wednesday for a Newfoundland man accused of more than 70 crimes involving the sexual abuse of youth. Anthony Humby was first arrested in St. John's, N.L., in April 2023, when he was 62.
Crews fighting largest wildfire in Nova Scotia brace for intense fire behaviour

Crews fighting largest wildfire in Nova Scotia brace for intense fire behaviour

HALIFAX — Officials in Nova Scotia say crews are bracing for a difficult couple of days of firefighting in the Annapolis Valley as the largest blaze in the province continues to gain ground.
Nova Scotia issues final environmental approval to Goldboro gold mine project

Nova Scotia issues final environmental approval to Goldboro gold mine project

HALIFAX — A gold mine in eastern Nova Scotia received its final permit approval from the provincial government on Wednesday, seven years after the project was first submitted for environmental scrutiny.
Quebec energy deal is chief election issue for Newfoundland and Labrador premier

Quebec energy deal is chief election issue for Newfoundland and Labrador premier

ST. JOHN'S — The premiers of Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador, along with the heads of their power utilities, met in St. John's Tuesday as both provinces hammer out final agreements on a sweeping new energy partnership.
No new reports of damage from Nova Scotia wildfire in Annapolis Valley

No new reports of damage from Nova Scotia wildfire in Annapolis Valley

HALIFAX — Officials in Nova Scotia said there were no new reports of damage to homes on Tuesday as a large wildfire in the Annapolis Valley continued to burn out of control.
Newfoundlanders worried about what they'll find when they return home after wildfire

Newfoundlanders worried about what they'll find when they return home after wildfire

CARBONEAR — Lisa Hogan hasn't seen her home in Western Bay, N.L., for about three weeks, but she's been told it's still standing. She and her sister have been sleeping at a school that was turned into a wildfire evacuation centre in nearby Carbonear.
Following destructive wildfires, New Brunswick reopens forest access

Following destructive wildfires, New Brunswick reopens forest access

FREDERICTON — New Brunswickers will be permitted once again to enter the province's forests, following a bout of cool weather that has reduced the risk of wildfires, officials said Monday. Starting Tuesday at 12:01 a.m.
Nova Scotia wildfire damages homes in Annapolis Valley

Nova Scotia wildfire damages homes in Annapolis Valley

HALIFAX — Extreme weather conditions over the weekend saw Nova Scotia’s largest fire more than double in size and damage homes in the Annapolis Valley for the first time since it broke out nearly two weeks ago.