Sunshine Coast RCMP reported the following for Jan. 4 to 11:
• Overnight on Jan. 11, a suspect gained entry to an unlocked vehicle parked in the 5600 block of Inlet Avenue, Sechelt, and stole a wallet full of identification, bank and credit cards, which were later discovered to have been used fraudulently to purchase gift cards. Police recovered most of the stolen cards later in the day while investigating the suspect for a separate incident. Police arrested the suspect on multiple charges, including possession of stolen property, fraud, and theft under $5,000. The file is still under investigation.
• On Jan. 8, at approximately 3:45 p.m., a suspect in a dark blue pickup truck was witnessed stealing lumber from a business in the 12300 block of Sunshine Coast Highway, Madeira Park. A licence plate was obtained and the file is still under investigation.
Break & Enter
• Overnight on Jan. 5, suspects gained entry to a property in the 700 block of School Road, Gibsons, and deployed a number of fire extinguishers, emptying them and causing property damage in the process. It appears the suspects gained access through a fence.
• At approximately 4 a.m. on Jan. 8, a suspect was witnessed cutting through a fence at a business in the 5600 block of Wharf Avenue, Sechelt, and stealing a set of used tires. The male suspect, who was wearing a black jacket with a red stripe, stole four aluminum five-spoke Ford SUV wheels. Police are reviewing surveillance footage in an attempt to identify the suspect.
• On Jan. 10 at approximately 3 a.m., a suspect gained entry to a business in the 5500 block of Wharf Avenue, Sechelt, by prying off a door lock. The suspect stole more than a dozen e-cigarettes before fleeing the scene. Police are reviewing security video footage and the file is still under investigation.
• Sometime between Jan. 8 and 11, suspects cut locks on two storage units at a business in the 13600 block of Highway 101, Pender Harbour, and disturbed the contents. Staff are trying to determine if anything was actually stolen, and police are reviewing surveillance video. The file is still under investigation.
• Overnight on Jan. 11, a suspect attempted to gain entry to a business in the 4300 block of Highway 101, Sechelt, by prying the door. The suspect damaged the lock but did not manage to gain access to the interior.
• Late on Jan. 8, police attended a single-vehicle incident near Wray Road and Port Mellon Road, Langdale, after witnesses reported a vehicle in the ditch. The uninjured driver, who was displaying possible signs of intoxication from alcohol, was given a roadside alcohol screening test. After two fail results, the driver was issued a 90-day Immediate Roadside Prohibition and his vehicle was impounded for 30 days.
• On Jan. 9, police attended a mischief report at a business in the 900 block of Gibsons Way, Gibsons, after staff witnessed a number of youths on the rooftop, as well as pushing shopping carts into the building. No actual damage has been reported to date.
• Overnight on Jan. 9, suspects broke a lock on, and gained entry to, a storage unit at a business in the 700 block of Park Road, Gibsons. The suspects moved a number of items, including a ride-on lawn mower and some quick lime. It does not appear that anything was actually stolen or damaged.
• On Jan. 7, a resident in the 5100 block of Myers Road, Sechelt, reported an inflatable water craft washed up on his property. Owner may claim within 90 days, with detailed description. Please reference police file 2021-142.
• On Jan. 7, a bike found in the middle of the 4300 block of Francis Peninsula Road, Madeira Park, was turned in. Owner may claim within 90 days with detailed description. Please reference police file 2021-147.
Const. Jihan McDougall, Sunshine Coast RCMP