Fire damages two suites in Sechelt home

Two families have been temporarily forced out of their homes following a fire in Sechelt.

Sechelt Fire Chief Trevor Pike said the call came in around 2 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 16 and when firefighters arrived at the home in the 5700 block of Trail Avenue they could see smoke coming from the lower floor suite in the house.

article continues below

The fire started in the kitchen of the suite and had begun to spread into the vents and ducts of the stove, but firefighters were able to get it out quickly.

Nobody was hurt and there was no serious damage to the building, however Pike said it would require extensive renovation and cleaning before the occupants can move back in.

Emergency Social Services has been helping the families with alternate accommodation.

Pike said four trucks and 25 firefighters responded to the call, which had originally been reported as a full structure fire. The cause was traced to a coffee pot left on a hot stove element.

© Copyright Coast Reporter

Comments

NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Coast Reporter welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus