n event series celebrating Indigenous culture, histories, and ways of knowing starts next week in Sechelt. Starting on National Indigenous Peoples Day (June 21), the shíshálh Nation, the syíyaya Reconciliation Movement, and the District of Sechelt have planned 11 days of activities through to and including Canada Day on July 1.
The events:A schedule of events for syíyaya Days will include film screening, cultural walking tours, performances, art workshops, drumming and dialogue circles, museum tours, storytelling and a parade.
- Presentation of White Raven by author Teoni Spathelfer at 9:30 a.m., Seaside Centre, Grades 2 to 7
- Talking Trees and Spoken Treasures Cultural Walking Tours at 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. By donation. Register: email@example.com Métis Cultural Event, potluck and speakers at noon, jigging, fiddle and beading 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., Seaside Centre, Free.
- Screening of Ladies of the Inlet with director Annie Frazier Henry, 2 p.m., Raven’s Cry Theatre, Free
- tems swiya Museum Guided Tour, 11 a.m., Register: firstname.lastname@example.org / 604-885-6012, freePresentation of White Raven by author Teoni Spathelfer at 1:15 p.m., Seaside Centre, free
KAIROS Blanket Exercise, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., St. Mary’s Church, Register: 604-886-4738, free
June 23 to 24
- tems swiya Museum Guided Tour, 11 a.m., Register: email@example.com / 604-885-6012, free
- Talking Trees – Rainbow Tour, 10 a.m., klaath Village (Porpoise Bay Provincial Park), Register: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weaving Cedar Hearts in Memory presented by Ali + Bella Casey, noon to 2 p.m., Weaving A Gathering Place Studio, free
- KAIROS Blanket Exercise, 1 to 3:30 p.m., shíshálh Nation, Register: Sankeydale@gmail.com, free
Indigenous Drumming Circle led by Terry Coyote Aleck, 4 p.m., Grieving Mother Statue, free
- Reconciliation Dialogue Circle, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Seaside Centre, Register: 778-458-3111, free she shashishalhem Language Workshop Led by Rita Poulsen 3 to 4 p.m., Hackett Park Stage, free
- tems swiya Museum Guided Tour, 11 a.m., Register: email@example.com, 604-885-6012, free
- Lion’s Club Pancake breakfast, Downtown (Cowrie Street), 8 a.m.
- Bike Decorating for Kids Trail Bay Mall (by the Liquor Store) 8 to 10 a.m.
- Suncoast Concert Band Downtown (Cowrie St) 9 a.m.
- Orange Shirt Walk & Parade Downtown (Cowrie St) Register: sechelt.ca/syiyaya 10:30 a.m.
- Hackett Stage Grand Opening Protocol ceremony, music & Hackett Park, noon to 3 p.m., free
- Weaving Cedar Hearts in Memory Presented by Ali + Bella Casey Sunshine Coast Arts Centre, noon to 3 p.m., free
For more information and to sign up for activities or volunteering visit sechelt.ca/syiyaya.“This is a different time; a new time where we honour the traditional lands we are on, remember our past and aim towards a bright future for all,” District of Sechelt mayor Darnelda Siegers said in the release. “This is an acknowledgement that our path forward is together.” with files from Sophie Woodrooffe/Coast Reporter