After last year’s catastrophic fire, I can’t imagine what the Squamish Valley residents are thinking right now.
The last thing they need to deal with ever again is another fire, especially after the complete devastation of Lytton.
Less than two hours later, we were seated at a local restaurant when I couldn’t believe my eyes. A group of four approached the front entrance, and one of the men took some last drags of his cigarette before chucking it on the ground. I was floored.
Rather than confronting him right away, I went outside to see if it was still burning. It was. I confronted them and made sure they put it out.
It’s bad enough that in 2021, some smokers still think it’s acceptable to throw cigarette butts on the ground. Garbage and environmental consequences aside, this man’s act was totally careless, given the escalating wildfire risk in BC and across the country. Perhaps cigarette companies need to add additional warnings beyond the obvious health risks.
Ignorance isn’t bliss: it’s reckless and has dire consequences.
Think people, think.