One of the most prominent, and problematic, boats anchored in Porpoise Bay has sunk.
The Gulfstream, a 100-foot (30-metre) cruiser, went down last Friday, just a day after another boat sank on the other side of the bay near the foot of Dusty Road. A third sinking was also reported on Friday.
The Gulfstream has been at the centre of complaints about derelict and abandoned vessels in Porpoise Bay for several years, and has been grounded or come close to sinking several times, including last November when dogs left aboard the boat had to be rescued.
Sunshine Coast RCMP’s operations NCO, Sgt. Mike Hacker, said police have no reason to believe there is anything suspicious about the sinkings, and have turned the file over to the Coast Guard.
The Coast Guard has not responded to questions from Coast Reporter, but Hacker said it’s his understanding that the agency is now looking into options for refloating the Gulfstream and towing it to shore for salvage.
The sinkings have raised questions about the progress of plans to remove abandoned boats from Porpoise Bay as part of a federal program that provided $70,000 for the assessment of problem vessels.
According to the district, the boats that sank late last week were not among the ones on the list to be assessed.
Public works manager John Devison said earlier this year that the district hoped to be in a position soon to apply for more funding to have vessels removed.
“We are a couple of weeks behind but still pushing through to get the assessments done as soon as possible,” he told Coast Reporter on Monday. “I will be on the water with RCMP and Coast Guard this week to do further assessments.”
Once assessments are complete, full reports have to be submitted and then the district can apply for funding for removal.