Touch n' go racing at the airport

Richard Austin/Contributing Writer / Staff writer
September 20, 2013 01:00 AM

The Full Throttle Showdown continued on Sunday at the Sechelt airport hosted by the Sunshine Coast Drag Racing Association. The event was postponed in August after rain washed away the final elimination heats. See more photos in our on-line galleries at

Last Sunday the continuation of Full Throttle Showdown was at the airport in Sechelt. The early morning was eerily quiet as the fog rolled in and out.

It was touch and go as track preparations continued, but before 9 a.m. the track was ready, the fog lifted enough and drivers started making their first passes.

A quick check in the pits and the reports were that conditions were a little foggy and the experienced drivers would likely take home the $2,200 in cash available for the winners.

With a slightly lower than expected car count, everyone got lots of track time in preparation for the eliminations later in the day.

The first final was street machine with Stephen Hoops from Gibsons and Al Phillips of Halfmoon Bay at the top of the class. With a dial in of 11.49, Hoops and his Silverado took the win by a margin of .168 and reported the secret to success - traction and experience. Phillips had a few issues finding the groove and keeping the tires from spinning.

Super street found Gibsons' Gary Tucker and the 1969 Grand Prix of Tom Sealy on either side of the starters' tree. Both were ready with a couple nice burnouts in the box. Sealy may have staged a bit too deep, got the red light, and Tucker ran a 9.607 for the win.

Davis Bay's Larry Avdeeff in the Nova was having such a good time all day he found his way to the final in street rod. Jay Walls from Gibsons was the other finalist and both set their ETs at 8.2.

With a reaction time of .529, Walls ran the 1/8 in 8.294, beating Avdeeff by .229 of a second. The great reaction time, the best in eliminations was worth $250. Walls wanted to thank his crew chief Tim for keeping the little S10 ready for the competition.

The final race of the day was the hot rod class. Chris Moretto, a regular from Powell River with the great little '71 Vega, took on 'Stickman' Wayne Tyson of Sechelt.

With a great reaction time of .530, Moretto got a jump on Tyson. Tyson was ahead at the 60-foot mark, but Moretto reeled him in and took the victory by .082.

Race starter Wayne Keddy sponsored the best burnout in eliminations. He had a tough decision, but once the smoke cleared, $100 went to Tim Cartwright in his Acadian Canso.

The races were done before 2 p.m. and before the track was cleared the promised rains arrived. It was great day and event timing was even better.

The executive and members of the Sunshine Coast Drag Racing Association would like to thank the citizens and business community of the Sunshine Coast for their continued support.

Tentative first race weekend in 2014 is May 24 and 25.

© Copyright 2015 Coast Reporter


NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Coast Reporter welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus
Coast Reporter

Email to a Friend



Should BC Ferries be returned to a Crown corporation?

or  view results

click here to read the editorial

Popular Coast Reporter

Community Event Calendar

Find out what's happening in your community and submit your own local events.