• Dec. 2 & 3. Agricultural Area Plan Open House. Preview the vision, goals, key recommended actions and implementation strategy. Feedback welcomed. •Dec. 2 at Gibsons and Area Community Centre, 5 to 8:30pm. •Dec. 3 at Roberts Creek Elementary, 5 to 8:30pm. Economic development may impact food security: take action to protect BC farmland!
• Sept. 11 to Dec. 11. Bouncing Babies and Books, Wednesdays 11am at Gibsons Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes, stories and sharing for children under 2.5 and their parents/caregivers, free. Info: 604-886-2130.
• Pender Harbour Free Community Meal, first Wednesday of each month, 6pm at Christ the Redeemer Church, next to Pender Harbour High School. A time of friendship and food, children and families welcome, volunteers needed, www.redeemerpender.ca
• Dec. 4. Join local Sunshine Coast contributors Heather Conn and Peter A. Robson, and guest editor David R. Conn, to celebrate the release of Harbour Publishing’s Raincoast Chronicles 22: Saving Salmon, Sailors and Souls: Stories of Service on the BC Coast. Info: 604-885-2527 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Dec. 4. Sunshine Coast Music Society Annual General Meeting, 2:30pm at the Highland Centre, 657 Highland Road, Roberts Creek. All members are encouraged to attend.
• Dec. 4, 11, 18. Winter Lights at Sunshine Coast Botanical Garden. Come see the thousands of twinkly lights on display at the Garden, Wednesdays 5 to 8pm. Post your wish on the Wish Tree and enjoy some warm apple cider. Special guests the Driftwood Players will perform a 15-minute version of A Christmas Carol (Dec. 18 only) at 7 and 7:45 pm. Info: 604-740-3969, www.coastbotanicalgarden.org
• Cribbage at Roberts Creek Legion, every Thursday, 7pm. Get out, have fun, meet some locals. Info: 604-740-8184.
• October to April. Roberts Creek Farm Gate Winter Market: All-local, organic mid-week farmers market, Thursdays, 3 to 6pm at Roberts Creek Hall (inside) in collaboration with Rashmi’s Curry in the Creek. Info: email@example.com
• Roberts Creek Hoop Group meets Thursdays 5 to 6pm at Roberts Creek Hall. “Begin with a hoola hoop, add music, creative expression, and a whole lot of fun.” Drop-in fee $9, everyone is welcome, from beginners to old pros. Practice hoops available, great music, easy-going supportive atmosphere. Info: www.hoopmajic.ca
• Sept. 12 to Dec. 12. Storytime Fun at the Gibsons Library, Thursdays 10:30 to 11:15am. Storytelling and crafts for children 2.5 to 5 (siblings are welcome). Enjoy some joyful time with your child, connect with other parents, and check out amazing books, movies and magazines, free. Info: 604-886-2130.
• Sunshine Coast Model Railroad Club meets every Thursday. Other modellers welcome to an operating session, last Thursday of each month. Contact Greg 604-886-8633 or Dave 604-886-1546.
• Good Grief: You don’t have to do it alone. Meet others who are travelling a similar journey of grief and loss at a weekly Tea & Company Drop-In. Fridays 1:30 to 3:30pm at Kirkland Centre (Hospice), 4602 Simpkins Rd, Davis Bay. Phone 604-740-0475.
• Dec. 6. Valdy Christmas Concert, 8pm at Gibsons Heritage Playhouse, original music and Christmas favourites, hot apple cider and goodies. Tickets at Laedeli, Gaia’s Fair Trade, Sechelt Visitor Centre. Info: www.heritageplayhouse.com, 604-886-8998.
• Are you coping with cancer and need to talk about it? The Ruby Slipper Cancer Support Group meets every first and third Saturday of the month, 1 to 3pm at the Community Resource Centre, 5520 Trail Avenue, Sechelt (entrance is at the left of the building near the back). Drop-in basis, no registration required. Info: 604-885-4088 or firstname.lastname@example.org, www.facebook.com/TheRubySlipperCancerSupportGroup
• Dec. 7. Children’s Winter Faire at Sun Haven Waldorf School, 11am to 3pm, 1341 Margaret Rd, Roberts Creek. A holiday celebration for the whole family! Info: www.sunhaven.ca
• Dec. 7. Happy Cat Haven Christmas Bake Sale, 9am to 3pm at Sunnycrest Mall. Come for the goodies. All proceeds go to the Haven.
• Coast Christmas Choir: A temporary choir will practice and perform the first segment of Handel’s Messiah and three choruses from the Ceremony of Carols by Benjamin Britten. Meets Saturdays 2 to 4pm at St. John’s United Church in Davis Bay. Singers for any voice are welcomed. No experience is required. Performance Friday, Dec. 20, 7pm.
• Dec. 7. Giving Back: A Holiday Event, hosted by the merchants of Gibsons Landing, 10am to 6pm in the Landing. Donations of cash, non-perishable food items, clothing, blankets and household goods are welcome, to be delivered to St. Bart’s Anglican Church in Gibsons. See story on page 47.
• Dec. 7. Green Film Series presents Do the Math, rousing documentary produced by 350.org covers the rising movement to challenge the fossil fuel industry, 2 pm at the Iris Griffith Centre. Hosted by Sustainable Coast Magazine (sustainablecoast.ca) and the Gibsons Green Team. By donation.
Sunshine Coast KidSport and all the grocery stores on the Coast invite you to a Turkey Shoot. Two turkeys raffled every 15 minutes, 50/50 draws and raffle prizes. All proceeds to KidSport!
This is Sechelt’s traditional annual Christmas event. People gather at 4:45 at Rockwood Centre for a cup of hot chocolate and to warm up their voices. Christmas carolling, led by Lynne and Reg Dickson with assorted choirs joining in, begins at 5:00. All the lights at Rockwood Centre, Cowrie Street and the Cenotaph will be lit, and a special guest in red will appear at 5:30 to lead carollers in a candle-light parade down Cowrie St. to downtown.
10 AM until 2 PM Sunday Dec. 8.
$10 for two pictures. Please keep your pet on a leash or in a carrier while in the mall
• Dec. 8. Sunshine Coast Kins Club invites you to Breakfast with Santa, 9am to noon at the Kinsmen Hall in Dougall Park, Lower Gibsons. Proceeds to the Elves Club.
• Coast Guitar Group meets on the second Sunday of the month (no meetings June, July and August), 7 to 8:30pm at the Rockwood Centre in Sechelt. Info: 604-886-0031.
• Dec. 8. Holiday Hustle 5k & 2k Run Walk & DanceWalk, 9:30am start from the Seaside Centre, a fundraiser for the Chatelech Concert Band, and a collection point for donations to the Elves Club Christmas Hampers. Info: www.sunshinecoastathletics.org/hh5k or 604-885-8849.
• Soccer Sunday at Roberts Creek Legion, 8am. English league soccer with full breakfast. Cover $2, breakfast $5, a no-alcohol event, children welcome. See www.robertscreeklegion.ca and Facebook: Roberts Creek Legion #219.
• Sunshine Coast Peace Group holds a vigil in Davis Bay every Sunday, 11:30am to 1pm in an effort to bring our troops home.
• Dec. 8. St. Mary’s Hospital Health Care Auxiliary Gibsons Branch hosts Super Sunday Sale featuring estate sale of better quality adult clothing, shoes and jewelry, 10am to 3pm at St. Mary’s Thrift Store in Sechelt.
• Dec. 9. St. Mary’s Hospital Health Care Auxiliary Roberts Creek Branch Annual General Meeting, 10am at Pebbles Restaurant in Sechelt. New members welcome. Hear reports from volunteers at Shorncliffe & Totem Lodge, the Loan Cupboard and the Gift Shop at St. Mary’s Hospital, the Thrift Shoppe and the Craft Committee. Join us and decide where you would like to volunteer! Lunch will follow. Come meet our members and the new 2014 executive.
Sunshine Coast Blues Society: An ongoing roots and blues jam at Boomers Burger Bar, Sunnycrest Mall, starts 7pm every Tuesday. One free beer and 25% off a menu item for jammers ... blues on.
• Nov. 19 to Dec. 17. Do you have a friend or loved one who is struggling with a cancer diagnosis? Do you sometimes feel helpless, sad, unsure how to support them? Please join us, a group of like-minded people who support each other by listening and sharing our own stories and laughing frequently. Mary Pinniger will host these drop-in sessions, Tuesdays 7 to 8:30pm at the Community Resource Centre in Sechelt. Info: 604-885-0834, 604-885-4088, www.facebook.com/therubyslippercancersupportgroup