• April 1 to June 17. The BC Schizophrenia Society - Sunshine Coast Branch presents Family to Family, a 12-class course for family and friends of people with a mental illness - education, support, problem solving. Tuesday evenings in Gibsons. To register call Anne: 604-886-7988.
Information and practical strategies to help you take control, better manage pain, and work effectively with health care providers. Free six-session workshop is offered to adults of all ages with chronic pain conditions; significant others also welcome. Registration is required.
• April 7 - 25. Festival of Performing Arts, various locations in Sechelt. Info: www.coastfestival.com/
• April 1 to 29. Gibsons Public Market Drop-in Tours, every Tuesday in April, 2 to 4pm. Have a peek inside the facility, get updated on what’s going on, and sign up to be involved through the 14 working committees. Info: 604-886-8814, www.gibsonspublicmarket.com
• April 7 to 29. Gibsons Public Market Welcomes You In, every Monday in April, 2 to 4pm. Curious to see what the Market building looks like inside? Interested in an update on the progress? Want to become involved? Drop by for a tour and an information update. Contact Nancy 604-886-6664 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• April 22. Sunshine Coast Museum & Archives 2014 AGM, 7:30pm sharp at the Museum. Voting for a new Board of Directors, plans for the upcoming year, accepting new memberships and renewals.
• April 23. Author Reading with Michael Maser for Gold Mad, a thriller from the greatest gold rush in history, 2pm at Rockwood Lodge.
• April 23. Venture Connect and Community Futures present two free informative workshops: Supply and Demand of Small Business at 3:30pm and Business Owner Succession Strategies at 5:30pm, at Pebbles Restaurant in Sechelt. RSVP required: 604-885-1959, ext. 227 or email@example.com
• April to October. Roberts Creek Farm Gate Market: All-local, organic mid-week farmers market, Wednesdays, 3 to 6pm at Roberts Creek Hall. Stop in for supper, be serenaded by great musicians, and bring the kids! Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
• March 5. Beginner Modern Square Dance Lessons, every Wednesday starting March 5, from 7 to 9:30pm at Sechelt Seniors Activity Centre. Singles are welcome.
• October to April. Roberts Creek Farm Gate Winter Market: All-local, organic mid-week farmers market, Thursdays, 3 to 6pm at Roberts Creek Hall (inside) in collaboration with Rashmi’s Curry in the Creek. Info: email@example.com
• April 24. French Conversation All Levels, Practice Your French, 4 to 5:30pm at Gibsons Library.
• Green Drinks: an off-line pit-stop for anyone passionate about building a better future for generations to come, a collaboration of the One Straw Society and Deer Crossing the Art Farm, 5:30pm at the Gumboot Cafe, last Thursday of every month, guest speakers, short films, focused discussions, inspiring conversation. See http://www.facebook.com/GreenDrinksSunshineCoast
• Spin-in at FibreWorks Studio & Gallery, Madeira Park, 10am, last Thursday of every month. SC Spinners & Weavers Guild gather in the studio to spin and share information, non-Guild members welcome. Info: http://fibreworksgallery.com
• April 25. Do-Re-TEA! presents Gemini with Val and Julie Rutter performing at Living Faith Lutheran Church in Davis Bay at 3pm, with music rangng from Renaissance to ragtime featuring four-hands piano, flute and recorders. An afternoon cream tea will be served after the concert. Tickets: 604-741-9943.
• April 4, 11, 25. Free Income Tax Help, 1 to 4pm Fridays (not April 18) at Gibsons Public Library. Volunteer certified tax specialists provide free income tax help for those with reduced income eligibility. RSVP required: 604-886-2130.
• April 26. Active Choices Program, 10am to 5pm at Gibsons Public Library. Exercise and the Brain: free training to be a volunteer coach. RSVP required: 604-886-2130.
• April 26. April Tools Wooden Boat Challenge, 10am to 4pm at Madeira Park government dock. Build a boat with a team, family fun, good food, cash prizes. www.apriltools.ca
• April 26 & 27. Driftwood Players Story Theatre free introductory workshop. This two-day workshop is a playful exploration of storytelling and community theatre. Interested participants can join the summer street theatre troupe.
Shakti Dance presents an evening of Bharata Natyam Indian classical dance performed by Anusha Fernando and Sujit Vaidya.
Artist demo and talk with a dance performance by Lindsey Prentice.
• Revolving Musical Guests, Saturdays starting 2pm at Persephone Brewing Company.
• April 26. Singing Into Spring, benefit concert for Habitat for Humanity, 7:30pm at Raven’s Cry Theatre.
• April 26. Spring Tea and Fancy Hat Contest, 2pm at Harmony Hall, with Bill Ward’s orchestra piano, prizes. Tickets $5 from Joan: 604-886-9227.
• April 27. Bird Walk with Alexis Harrington, 9am at Sunshine Coast Botanical Garden. Meet in the parking lot, bring your binoculars.
• April 27. Earth Day in Roberts Creek. All day family fun at the pier, music, vendors, information.
Native Drumming Circle, 4pm at St. Hilda’s Anglican Church, Sechelt. Led by Terry Aleck (Coyote), fourth Sunday of each month. Bring your drum, shaker and songs.
• April 27. Salamander Crawl/Frog Hop with Lee-Ann Ennis, 2pm at SC Botanical Garden. Explore the ponds and the abundant aquatic life at the gardens, a great event for kids of all ages, by donation.
• April 27. Tower of Song: A Creative Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Oliver Swain and Glenna Garramone and guest Corbin Keep, 2pm at Heritage Playhouse, Gibsons. Tickets at Laedeli, Gaia’s Fair Trade, Sechelt Visitor Centre. Info: www.heritageplayhouse.com, 604-886-8998.
Sunshine Coast Game Night is a new board game group. We welcome new players, with or without experience. Bring your favourite games, or just show up and play somebody else's! The Legion is free for members and guests, and a $2 drop-in fee for non-members. Check out Sunshine Coast Game Night on Facebook for more info.
• Meatless Mondays on the Sunshine Coast. Info: www.facebook.com/meatlessmondayssc, meatlessmondays.ca, Gillian at 604-886-7756.