• March 9. A Spring Musicale: Parlour Song and Piano, 2:30pm at St. Hilda’s Anglican Church, Sechelt. Presented by Coast Recital Society, with mezzo-soprano Patricia Hammond and pianists Roberts and Ellen Silvermann.
• March 9. Celebration of Coast Composers performed by Jazz Group of Seven, Creek Big Band, Suncoast Concert Band, 7pm at the Highland Centre (657 Highland Road, corner of Highway 101 & Lower Road). Tickets at Laedeli and Strait Music.
• March 9. Saving Seeds that Sustain Us, a beginners workshop with Leonie Croy, 10am to noon at the Roberts Creek Hall. Learn how to save seeds from the food you grow in your backyard. Advanced Seed Saving, for experienced growers with Maria Hunter, 1 to 3:30pm at the Roberts Creek Hall. Community seed stewardship, needs and resources of gardeners and farmers on the Coast. Presented by the Live and Learn Program of One Straw Society. Please pre-register: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunshine Coast Game Night is a new board game group. We welcome new players, with or without experience. Bring your favourite games, or just show up and play somebody else's! The Legion is free for members and guests, and a $2 drop-in fee for non-members. Check out Sunshine Coast Game Night on Facebook for more info.
• Feb. 12 Going Coastal, a joint show with the works of photographer Dean van’t Schip and painter Andre Serin, Feb 12-Mar 16 at the Doris Crowston Gallery, presented by the Sunshine Coast Arts Centre. Opening reception will be from 4-6pm on Saturday, Feb 15, 5714 Medusa St., Sechelt. Gallery hours Sunday 1-4pm & Wed-Sat from 11-4pm, 604.885-5412, scartscouncil.com
• Until March 17. Parent and Child Play Group at Sun Haven Waldorf School, 9:30-11:30am Mondays, Beach Avenue and Margaret Road, Roberts Creek. Bring your child to play, sing, hear stories and seasonal puppet plays, share a nutritious snack and connect with others around parenting. 604-741-0949 or email@example.com (www.sunhaven.ca)
Canadian Tai Chi Academy. To maintain and regain good health.
• Join other newcomers over lunch at noon at Sunshine Coast Golf Club, second Tuesday of the month. Activities include hiking, men’s poker, book clubs, pub nights, coffee mornings, monthly Bacchus. Info: Lise 778-485-2205, Debbie 604-885-5971.
• Second Wednesday of every month, Davis Bay - Wilson Creek - Selma Park Community Association at the Hall, 5123 Davis Bay Road, 7pm. See www.davisbaybc.ca
Family Caregivers Series is an Alzheimer Society of BC three-session series for family members who are caring for a person with dementia. Learn about dementia, practical coping strategies, personal planning and self-care for the caregiver, 1-4pm on three Thursdays, March 6, 13 and 20, at Capilano University, 5627 Inlet Ave.
• March 12. Gibsons Library Book Club, 6 to 7:30pm at Gibsons Public Library. Discussion: Leave Me Alone, I’m Reading by Maureen Corrigan. Distribution: Y by Marjorie Celona.
• Roberts Creek Legion’s regular Pass da Pasta nights are held each Wednesday from 4:30-8pm.
• March 5. Beginner Modern Square Dance Lessons, every Wednesday starting March 5, from 7 to 9:30pm at Sechelt Seniors Activity Centre. Singles are welcome.
Canadian Tai Chi Academy. To maintain and regain good health. Drop-ins welcome.
• October to April. Roberts Creek Farm Gate Winter Market: All-local, organic mid-week farmers market, Thursdays, 3 to 6pm at Roberts Creek Hall (inside) in collaboration with Rashmi’s Curry in the Creek. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
• March 13 & 27. French Conversation All Levels, Practice your French, 4 to 5:30pm at Gibsons Public Library.
• Sunshine Coast Model Railroad Club meets every Thursday. Other modellers welcome to an operating session, last Thursday of each month. Contact Greg 604-886-8633 or Dave 604-886-1546.
• March 14. A Grand Tour of the Universe with speaker David Helfand, president of the American Astronomical Society, 7:30pm at Sunshine Coast Art Centre.
• March 14. A Spiritual Gathering, 7 to 9pm at Self Realization Meditation and Healing Centre, Halfmoon Bay. An uplifting evening of songs, chanting, inspirational readings and meditation. No charge.
• Royal Astronomical Society, Sunshine Coast Centre regular club meeting, 2nd Friday of each month at the Sechelt Arts Centre, 7:30pm. Learn what is currently observable in night skies and the latest astronomical developments. See http://coastastronomy.ca
• March 14. Friday Dinner and Live Music with Danny Dolen, Celtic and East Coast songs, 4:30 to 8pm at Roberts Creek Legion.
• March 7, 14, 21, 28. Free Income Tax Help (Reduced Income Eligibility), 1 to 4pm at Gibsons Public Library. RSVP required: 604-886-2130.
A fitness and social program designed for people diagnosed with Alzheimer Disease or other dementia in the early stages and a family member, friend or other care partner. 45 minutes of gentle exercise followed by a social time and a fun activity.
• Good Grief: You don’t have to do it alone. Meet others who are travelling a similar journey of grief and loss at a weekly Tea & Company Drop-In. Fridays 1:30 to 3:30pm at Kirkland Centre (Hospice), 4602 Simpkins Rd, Davis Bay. Phone 604-740-0475.
• Jan. 18, Feb. 15, March 15, April 19. Acquired Brain Injury Peer Support Group Meetings will be held on the third Saturday of the month, 10am at St. Johns United Church, Davis Bay. After a brain injury, learning to adjust and adapt to a new way of living in the world can be challenging. The current goal of this peer support group is to have fun and friendship. Info: Vancouver Coastal Health, 604-885-8524.
Bring your treasures to be professionally assessed - anything collectable, unusual, historical, or unique - and find out what they're worth. Admission free to browse heritage exhibits and on-site museum gift shop, fee for appraisals. Membership drive with the chance to win a Beachcombers gift pack!
• Are you coping with cancer and need to talk about it? The Ruby Slipper Cancer Support Group meets every first and third Saturday of the month, 1 to 3pm at the Community Resource Centre, 5520 Trail Avenue, Sechelt (entrance is at the left of the building near the back). Drop-in basis, no registration required. Info: 604-885-4088 or email@example.com, www.facebook.com/TheRubySlipperCancerSupportGroup
• March 15. Garage Sale at Sechelt Seniors Activity Centre, 10am to 2pm. Tables available for rent: 604-885-3513.
• March 15. St. Patrick’s Day, 8pm at Roberts Creek Legion, with the 15-piece band Irish for a Day, playing Celtic and East Coast songs. Enjoy a bowl of Irish stew and dance to your heart’s content!
• Revolving Musical Guests, Saturdays starting 2pm at Persephone Brewing Company.
• March 15. One Straw and the SC Seed Saving Collective are proud to announce the 10th Annual Seedy Saturday.
10am - Talk with Q&A by Dan Jason of Salt Spring Seeds, speaking from his book "Saving Seeds As If Our Lives Depended On It"
Masonic Hall (beside RCHall)- Admission to talk is sliding scale $5 to $15. Doors at 9:45 am.
11 am until 3 pm - Seedy Saturday at the RC Hall - Free admission, featuring: seed exchange, seeds, and seedling sales, live plant sale, farmers market, kids activities, One Straw food concession, silent auction, raffle, information booths and a series of fabulous by-donation workshops:
12 pm – Seed Saving Fundamentals – presented by Maria Hunter of the SC Seed Saving Collective
12:30 pm – Growing Squash and the Squash Project – presented by Denise Lagasse of the SC Seed Saving Collective
1 pm - "A home for mason bees: helping native pollinators in our own garden" - presented by Ana Cohen-Fernandez of the SC Wildlife Project
Don’t forget to bring seeds for the seed exchange and live plant donations.
Canadian Tai Chi Academy. To maintain and regain health. Drop-ins welcome.
• March 16. Popsicle Stick Bridge Building Contest, noon at Sechelt Indian Band Community Hall. Building kits with sticks, glue and instructions available at Gibsons Building Supplies in Gibsons and Sechelt, Rona store in Pender Harbour.
• March 16. Alexander Dunn Classical Guitar Concert, 2pm at St. Hilda’s Church, Sechelt.
• Sunshine Coast Peace Group holds a vigil in Davis Bay every Sunday, noon to 1:30pm in an effort to bring our troops home.
• Coast Guitar Group meets on the second Sunday of the month (no meetings June, July and August), 7 to 8:30pm at the Rockwood Centre in Sechelt. Info: 604-886-0031.