• Nov. 4. Bake and Baby Sale, 9am to 1pm at Shirley Macey Park. Baking and baby clothing (0 to 3), furniture and toys as well as women’s clothing. A fundraiser for Oscar Dorval and his family.
• Nov. 4. SC Festival of the Performing Arts AGM, 2pm at Sunshine Coast Arts Centre, Sechelt. Current and new members welcome for the first event of their 40th anniversary year celebration! Entertainment by performers with links to the early years of Festival will follow the AGM business meeting. Refreshments served.
Two-day meditation teachings with Tibetan lama Ngakpa Kalzang Dorje. Meditation is used to explore and gain insight into mental qualities. Through learning and practice, these qualities can become consciously engaged in our daily lives.
In the Tibetan tradition, a Ngakpa is a non-monastic tantric master or mystic yogi and Ngakpa Kalzang belongs to a rare lineage of this tradition. He is the Spiritual Teacher at Thubten Choling, a non-sectarian Tibetan Buddhist Centre in Duncan on Vancouver Island.
Space is very limited so preregistration is required.
This two-day retreat will be offered on a donation basis. Suggested amounts: $120 - $150.
• Nov. 4. Presented by the Ruby Lake Lagoon Society.
Join Dr. John Field for an in-depth introduction to finding, identifying and collecting your favourite fungus, including a morning indoor presentation followed by a guided field trip to try out your new found knowledge.
$30 for non-members, $15 for members. Pre-registration required. www.lagoonsociety.com 604.883.9201. email@example.com
• Nov. 4. SC Film Society presents Starbuck, 3pm at Sechelt Seniors Activity Centre, 5604 Trail Avenue. “An ingratiating comedy based on the premise that it takes a village to raise an adult.” See www.scfs.ca
• Nov. 4. SC Film Society presents Dos Hermanos (Brother and Sister), 3pm at Sechelt Seniors Activity Centre. Set in Buenos Aires and a sleepy town in Uruguay, the complicated, highly-enmeshed, love-hate relationship of Susana and Marcos, a pair of middle-aged siblings. See www.scfs.ca
• Nov. 4. Sunshine Coast SPCA Pub Night, 4 to 8pm at the Lighthouse Pub, Sechelt. For more info, see www.spca.bc.ca/branches/sunshine-coast or call 604-740-0301.
• Taizé: Candlelight Contemplative Service, 7pm at St. Hilda’s Anglican Church, with chant, inspirational reading and meditative silence (1st & 3rd Sunday). Info: 604-885-5019.
• Nov. 4. The Sweet Lowdown, 7:30pm at The Arts Building, 464 South Fletcher, Gibsons. An acoustic roots trio: old time folk, bluegrass and roots music.