• August 18 & 19. Hackett Park Summer Arts and Crafts Fair, Trail Avenue, Sechelt. Saturday 10am to 5pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm. One of the largest juried art and craft fairs in BC!
• Sunshine Coast Botanical Garden Summer Hours: Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 4pm, enter at Gate 4, admission by donation. Guided Garden Tours, Sundays 2pm sharp at Gate 4 (main gate), 5941 Mason Road, by donation. See the quaking aspen and learn about its clones, take your best guess at the strange shape of the mystery tree, and see how the native plant garden is coming along. Info: www.coastbotanicalgarden.org or 604-885-9363.
• August 16 to 19. Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts, Rockwood Gardens, Sechelt. Details at www.writersfestival.ca
• Gibsons Landing Sunday Market, 10am to 3pm, Holland Park and Winegarden Park in Lower Gibsons, every Sunday, June to September. Locally grown, locally made. See www.facebook.com/gibsons.landing.sunday.market
• August 17 to 19. International Howe Sound Outrigger Race at Gibsons Marina and Dock. One of the major paddling events of its kind in Canada. Registration at Dougall Park Kin Hut Friday 2pm to 7pm, race blessing at 7:15 pm, breakfast starts 7am Saturday at the gov’t dock, races Saturday and Sunday, leaving from gov’t dock. See http://clippercanoes.com/outrigger/index.htm
• August 17 to 19. Pender Harbour Chamber Music Festival at Pender Harbour School of Music, Madeira Park.
• August 17 to 19. Power of Paint Exhibition at Seaside Centre, Sechelt. Opening Reception: Friday, 5 to 9pm, show runs Saturday 10am to 9pm, Sunday 10am to 6pm. After 15 years of creative collaboration, Eleven Equal Artists will host their premier exhibition, Power of Paint. See www.elevenequalartists.com for details.
• July 1. Roberts Creek Heart Market, noon to 4pm in “downtown” Roberts Creek, every Sunday until the fall. Vendors can contact Ian at Roberts Creek Health Food Store: 604-885-2580.
On August 19, the Sunshine Coast Minor Hockey Association will be hosting our official Opening Day at the Gibsons and Area Community Centre. A full day designed to help kids and families prepare for the upcoming Hockey season, this free community event will focus on fun and engaging activities, practical information, hockey clinics and a Coaches Skills Competition.
SCMHA Opening Day will include a Hockey Gear Swap, concessions, information and registration, on ice time for registered children, concussion testing information, a Coaches Skills Competition at 5:45pm, prizes and more.
• SC Lions Club Tailgate Sales, 8am to 1pm, first and third Sundays of the month at Trail Bay Centre parking lot, weather permitting. Info: 604-885-3822.
• Taizé: Candlelight Contemplative Service, 7pm at St. Hilda’s Anglican Church, with chant, inspirational reading and meditative silence (1st & 3rd Sunday). Info: 604-885-5019.