Rep Thunder remain in top spot

Staff writer
January 25, 2013 01:00 AM

After a long winter break the U13 Thunder Girls Rep soccer team took to the field last weekend against Marpole, one of the top teams in their gold division.

The teams played to a 1-1 tie keeping Thunder in top spot in the division.

Midfielders Alyssa Rive, Pearl Deasey, Hollie Piepjohn and Foofy Foody continued to pound the ball up the field to the wingers Sophie Fiedler, Kiah Duffy, Holly Gray-Pearl and Sienna Lewarne who took it to the net for shot after shot until Georgie Aleong sent Lucy Schick on a through ball who deaked out the goalie to get Thunder on the board.

Marpole pressed hard in the second half, but defenders Geordie Owen, Melissa Iverson, Emma Cooney, Lulu Kammerle, Nisha Wells and Ingrid Hansen kept them at bay with only a few shots on net that goalie Lydia Harvey-Lloyd was able to handle.

U14 boys

On a double-header weekend, the Scorpions had a rematch against the Vancouver Predators, who knocked the Scorpions out of the Pioneer Cup in November.

Bradley Huddlestone started the Scorpions' attack, with a crisp shot that was stopped by the keeper, but Jordan Kammerle hammered in the rebound.

Shortly after that, Everett August fired off a big shot from outside the 18, that sailed into the top of the net. Finn Rogers and Duncan Armstrong made quick passes to Everett and Jordan, with Ben Luporini eventually burying the ball behind the helpless keeper.

Centrebacks Liam Rankin and Keegan Inkster used their speed and solid strength to challenge the Predators' attackers. Evan Griffin, Cole Cooney and Philip Fogarty worked with the wingers, Finn, Ben and Gabe Goerzen to keep the ball near the perimeter.

The Predators broke through two times, giving goalkeeper Tristan Tidder the opportunity to use his athleticism to stop the ball and send his team back onto the attack. The final goal of the game came moments before the final whistle, when Everett kicked a huge shot, almost from centre, that sailed over the keeper into the top of the net for the 4-0 win.

On Sunday the Scorpions played the first round of the North Shore Cup, at Ambleside against the North Vancouver Torrent.

Most of the Scorpions seemed fatigued, but Duncan and Finn's energy eventually inspired the rest of the team. With the match tied 0-0 at the half, determination set in and the Scorpions sustained pressure in the Torrent's side of the field.

After several corner kicks, Bradley eventually scored the first Scorpions' goal.

The Torrent responded with a near miss on the Scorpions' net.

The Scorpions defence sent a big kick to Jordan Kammerle, who ran around the entire Torrent defence, and took a tight angle shot that landed just inside the far side of the net, for the Scorpions' second and final goal.

The Scorpions have advanced to the second round of the North Shore Cup, to be played soon against the West Vancouver Hawks, in Sechelt.

- Submitted

© Copyright 2015 Coast Reporter


NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Coast Reporter welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus
Coast Reporter

Email to a Friend



Should BC Ferries be returned to a Crown corporation?

or  view results

click here to read the editorial

Popular Coast Reporter

Community Event Calendar

Find out what's happening in your community and submit your own local events.