Parachutists: we spent 4 hours atop NYC's World Trade Center before leap, plead not guilty

The Associated Press
May 6, 2014 09:06 AM

In this photo taken from video, skydiver Marko Markovich, who parachuted off 1 World Trade Center last year, leaves state Supreme Court following his arraignment, Tuesday, May 6, 2014 in New York. Markovich and two co-defendants were charged with burglary and reckless endangerment for their daring escapade the night of Sept. 30, 2013. (AP Photo/Ted Shaffrey)

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Three skydivers say they spent about four hours atop 1 World Trade Center in New York City before parachuting off it in a stunt that raised questions about security and left them facing felony charges.

James Brady, Marko Markovich and Andrew Rossig mentioned the four-hour timeframe in court papers Tuesday. They acknowledge making the Sept. 30 jump but pleaded not guilty to burglary and other charges.

They were arrested last month, shortly after a teenager was accused of climbing the as-yet-unfinished tower.

The incidents have spurred concerns about protections at the security-conscious trade centre.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey owns the site and says it's secure. A spokesman says there have been physical, operational and policy changes since the daredevils' antics. He wouldn't give specifics.


© Coast Reporter

Coast Reporter

Email to a Friend

Close

QUESTION OF THE WEEK POLL

Should a 30 km/hr speed limit be implemented throughout our community?

or  view results

Popular Coast Reporter

Community Event Calendar


Find out what's happening in your community and submit your own local events.