CALGARY - The Calgary Stampeders have brought back veteran defensive back Quincy Butler following the conclusion of his legal problems.
The Stampeders suspended Butler in May when he was charged with two counts of assault stemming from an incident near a Calgary casino earlier that month.
Butler pleaded guilty to one charge of assault causing bodily harm in Calgary court last week and was sentenced to 18 months probation.
Calgary added the 32-year-old from San Antonio, Texas, to the their practice roster.
"After meeting with Quincy, I know he is genuinely remorseful for what he has done," Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel said Thursday in a statement.
"I think Quincy deserves a chance to prove himself as a person and as a football player. It's all up to him now."
Butler played 16 regular-season games for the Stampeders from 2011 to 2013. He's had 42 tackles, two interceptions, a pair of fumble recoveries and a forced fumble. In three playoff games, Butler has 14 tackles and an interception.
"I made a mistake and accept the full consequences for my actions," Butler said.
"I apologize to my teammates and the Stampeders organization for the harm that has been done. I'm grateful for the opportunity the team is giving me to prove that this incident does not define who I am. I want to put this behind me and show everyone who Quincy Butler really is."
The Stampeders released running back Tory Harrison to make room for Butler.
© Copyright 2015 Coast Reporter