Wednesday April 23, 2014


question of the week

Survey results are meant for general information only, and are not based on recognised statistical methods.





Home »  News »  National News

Quebec government says it will create its own long-gun gun registry


Quebec Public Security Minister Stephane Bergeron, right, is applauded by members of the legislature after making a statement on the anniversary of the Polytechnic shooting and the firearm registry, Thursday, December 6, 2012, at the legislature in Quebec City. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

QUEBEC - The Quebec government marked the anniversary of Canada's worst mass shooting by reiterating its intention to create its own gun registry.

Public Security Minister Stephane Bergeron said in a statement Thursday it will happen once Ottawa turns over Quebec data that was in the now-defunct federal long-gun registry.

Alexa Conradi, president of the Quebec Women's Federation, welcomed the confirmation that the province will proceed with its own gun registry.

"Controlling firearms is a really important and essential aspect of fighting violence against women," she said at a rally in front of the Montreal courthouse Thursday.

Conradi made her comments as several dozen people commemorated the 23rd anniversary of the killing of 14 women at the Ecole polytechnique in 1989.

France Bourgault, one of the organizers, said the courthouse was chosen because, according to her, the judicial system and the state are unable to guarantee the safety of women.

While Conradi welcomed Bergeron's statement, she was still worried about the impact of the Conservative government's decision to abolish the federal registry.

"We're definitely concerned about women across Canada who will now be faced with the absence of sufficient controls of firearms and that might put them at greater risk for violence against women," she said.

Bergeron later said he wasn't sure if the legislation setting up the registry would be tabled before the resolution of an ongoing legal battle with the federal government. But he said it would happen "soon."

Quebec and Ottawa are fighting over the federal registry, which the Conservatives scrapped earlier this year.

In September, Quebec Superior Court ordered the data on Quebec guns be preserved and turned over to the province.

The federal government is appealing that ruling and a hearing is scheduled for March.

Information provided by the other parts of the country has been destroyed.

The federal registry, created in 1995 by the Liberal government, has been controversial from the start due to conflicting claims about its effectiveness.

In announcing the province's intentions, Bergeron noted that he knew one of the victims, student Nathalie Croteau.

Vigils were scheduled across Canada to mark the 1989 tragedy and decry violence against women.


Comments


NOTE: To post a comment in the new commenting system you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, OpenID. You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Coast Reporter welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

blog comments powered by Disqus


About Us | Advertising | Contact Us | Sitemap / RSS   Glacier Community Media: www.glaciermedia.ca    © Copyright 2014 Glacier Community Media | User Agreement & Privacy Policy
Business in Vancouver Whistler Question Squamish Chief Powell River Peak Real Estate Weekly My Local Flyers

LOG IN



Lost your password?