Sunshine Coast RCMP reported the following for the week of Aug. 14 to 20:
• On Aug. 14, a witness reported a vehicle speeding westbound on Pratt Road in Gibsons. The witness provided a vehicle description and partial plate number and police located the vehicle on Gibsons Way.
The driver admitted that he had smoked marijuana the night before and while undergoing a standard field sobriety test, police also noted the driver emitted the odour of alcohol. The driver was given a roadside alcohol-screening test, which resulted in a ‘warn’ reading. The driver was issued a three-day immediate roadside prohibition and his vehicle was impounded for three days.
• Overnight on Aug. 15, a thief broke into a residence in the 5500 block of Sinku Drive in Sechelt and stole a television set. The thief gained entry by kicking in the door. No other theft or damage was reported.
• Between Aug. 13 and 15, a boat went missing from the water near the 5900 block of Tillicum Bay Road in Sechelt. The boat is described as a 16-foot Sylray, white with a blue cover, two outboard motors and the name "Business" on it. It is believed the boat slipped out of its tie downs.
• On Aug. 15, a possible impaired driver was reported in Sechelt. Police located the suspect as he drove out of a downtown parking lot and a traffic stop was initiated. The suspect exhibited several signs of intoxication and advised he'd had several drinks in the last two hours. The suspect was given and failed a roadside alcohol-screening test. The suspect was issued a 90-day immediate roadside prohibition and his vehicle was impounded for 30 days.
• Between Aug. 14 and 16, a thief broke into a residence in the 12800 block of Madeira Park Road and stole cash, older model Toshiba and Dell laptops, an assortment of alcohol and a iPod Shuffle with charger. The thief attempted to pry open a downstairs door before gaining access from another poorly secured door. Anyone with any information about this break and enter is asked to contact RCMP, at 604-885-2266 and reference file 2013-5712.
• On Aug. 17, a suspected arsonist set fire to several mail boxes and a newspaper box located on Norwest Bay Road near McCourt Road in Sechelt. The damaged mailboxes were seized for investigation. Anyone with any information about this mischief is asked to contact RCMP, reference file number 13-5742.
• Overnight on Aug. 17, a suspected vandal sprayed graffiti on a vehicle parked in a fenced compound in the 5600 block of Schetxwen Road in Sechelt. The vandal used white spray paint to do the tagging. Anyone with any information about this mischief is asked to contact RCMP, reference file number 13-5745.
• On Aug. 18, suspected thieves stole a very large amount of assorted fudge and some clothing from vendor tents set up in Hackett Park in Sechelt.
Anyone with any information about this theft is asked to contact RCMP, reference file number 13-5766.
• On Aug. 19, a phone scam was reported after a Coast resident received a phone call with an automated message stating she had won a cruise through a well-known local business. The call appeared to come from a local number, but when the resident called the number back to investigate further, another local resident answered who denied knowing anything about the situation.
This is a popular scam where the scammer piggybacks onto a local number to appear legitimate. Police remind the public to be very wary of any offers that appear too good to be true and not to give out any information to anyone over the phone unless you are certain you know who they are.