Sunshine Coast RCMP reported the following for Jan. 15 to 22:
• Between Jan. 10 and 16, a thief stole an orange Husqvarna power saw from an unlocked shed in the 12900 block of Shark Lane in Madeira Park.
• On Jan. 15, a female suspect demanded cash from staff at a business in the 5600 block of Highway 101. When staff refused, the suspect brandished her cane before eventually leaving in a white van. The suspect, described as a white female in her 60's, has a large build and was wearing a black and white Nordic-style cap. Police identified the female through surveillance video and she has been banned from the business.
• Between Jan. 13 and 14, a vandal damaged the hood of a vehicle parked in the 5600 block of Curtis Place in Halfmoon Bay. The vandal attempted to pry open the hood with a pry bar, possibly to steal the battery, but was unsuccessful. Nothing was stolen, but the vehicle body was damaged.
• On Jan. 16, a shoplifter was caught by staff trying to leave a business in the 400 block of Marine Drive in Gibsons with unpaid for items hidden in his pockets. The staff member detained the suspect until police arrived whereupon the suspect admitted his intent to steal. The male suspect was discovered to also be breaching several conditions of recognizance. The male was arrested and several charges are being recommended.
• On Jan. 17, two separate witnesses reported a possible impaired driver in a red van on Highway 101 heading north from Lower Road in Roberts Creek. The suspect passed vehicles on the double solid line, tailgated and drove at erratic and high speeds. Police located the suspect and as one of the witnesses provided a statement, a violation ticket for drive without due care and attention will be issued.
• Overnight on Jan. 17, a suspect attempted to break into two residences in the 5400 block of Wharf Road in Sechelt and successfully gained entry into a third while the residents were home. The suspect removed screens from windows in his or her attempts to gain access. The only item reported stolen is a bottle of wine.
• On Jan. 17, a single-vehicle collision occurred in the 4500 block of Whitaker Road in Sechelt after a vehicle drove into a fence. Police found the driver unhurt in the vehicle and determined the driver was intoxicated. The vehicle was towed and the driver arrested for driving while impaired.
• Overnight on Jan. 18, a vandal smashed a hole into a gas meter located in the 5500 block of Trail Avenue in Sechelt. The gas company was called immediately to fix the damage before any other problems could occur. Anyone with any information about this mischief is asked to contact RCMP at 604-885-2266 and reference file 13-339.
• On Jan. 18, police witnessed an erratic driver eastbound on Highway 101 leaving downtown Sechelt. The suspect driver slowed down and sped up for no reason and had trouble staying in his lane and when the officer activated his emergency lights, the driver did not initially pull over. The vehicle finally stopped in Selma Park and the officer noted the driver exhibiting signs of intoxication. The driver, who refused to provide a breath sample, was arrested for impaired operation of a motor vehicle.
• Between Jan. 16 and 20, a thief stole 11, 18-inch by 18-inch concrete paving blocks from a residence in the 5400 block of Burnett Road in Sechelt. The pavers were laid out on the property before being stolen.